Saturday, August 17, 2013

Vegetarian Chipotle Tacos


Matt and I try to eat vegetarian dinners at least twice a week.
Why?
Because meat is really expensive
 and we don't think we have to eat meat everyday.

While we do have an assortment of great recipes,
I was itching to try something new.
Something summery and if it happened to use up my zucchini even better. 

We love tacos so I was ready to give this a spin.

After reading through the recipe, I decided to make a few changes.
So here is my slightly altered version.

Vegetarian Chipotle Tacos
6 radishes

1 small (4 to 5 ounces) zucchini, long and narrow if you can find it
2 limes
Salt
1 can of corn
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional if blistering tacos in skillet
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese

(or another salty, crumbly cheese such as ricotta salata or feta)

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1 tsp of chipotle powder
10 to 12 small (6-inch) soft flour tortillas
avocado (optional)

To make the slaw
(I thought her directions for this were brilliant, so I just copied it)

"Cut radishes and zucchini into tiny matchsticks with a mandoline. If you don’t have a mandoline, you can use a peeler to peel thick ribbons down the long side of the zucchini. Stack the ribbons and cut them crosswise into thin matchsticks. Cut the radishes into a similar shape by hand. Toss radishes and zucchini together. Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the radish and season with salt to taste. Add more lime juice if desired. Set aside."

I suggest doing this before hand...like in the morning,
 because the longer it sat...the better it tasted.
But it still was good fresh.

The corn
1) Throw corn in a skillet with oil, garlic, chipotle powder, chili powder, and cilantro.
2) When corn is hot set aside
3) Make sure this has a lot of flavor.

Assemble
1) Heat up tortillas
2) Put the cheese on
3) Put the hot corn on
4) Put slaw on
5) Cut up raw onion and avocado to top it off
6) (if you want an unhealthier version of this, stick everything in and fry the sides of the tortilla)

We were suprised by the flavors of this.
The chipotle corn gives a heavy, smoky flavor to the taco,
while the slaw with the lime is really light.
It was an interesting combination.
It tasted very earthy, healthy, and light.
We liked it, but I have a soup recipe that uses these ingredients and more
that I absolutely love.
It's one of my very favorite recipes so I'll stick it up here soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment