Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Flea Markets and our Living Room

(This is part 2 of our home tour...
for our bathroom and kitchen click here.)

When I woke up today, I just felt like an antiquing day.
The weather is beautiful and it was a Wednesday...
which just happens to be one of the 3 days that the closest flea market is open!
It's called the Golden Nugget and is only 25 minutes away from our home.
Combined with the free parking and admission,
it was a no brainer where we were going to go.

I was amazed how larger of a flea market it was.
When I got there I thought it was just one long row of tables.
When I got to the end of the row,
I was surprised to find a barn full of antiques,
and after I went through there there were more tables.
By then I pretty sure I saw everything but no.
There was still 2 more long rows AND a big warehouse to go through.

I should have brought my camera because there were so many beautiful things.
The old rings were amazing and I think I might get one next time I go.
Madeleine kept attacking the old necklaces and purses.
I didn't blame her -- they were so shiny.
My favorite thing I saw was an old hersey kiss lunch box.

Hershey's Kiss Metal lunchbox

Too cute right?

We weren't there as casual browsers.
We actually were there on a mission for a coffee table.
Our budget $40.
I knew exactly what I wanted and the price that I was willing to pay.
I wanted something that was thin with clean lines.

Matt and I had previously found some 60s coffee tables that we thought would work,
but they were $100+.

Well, I found one.
I actually found it within the first 10 minutes I was there.
But she was asking for $45 without tax.

So we bargained down to $35 with tax. 


I feel like our living room is finally presentable.
It was a bit of a challenge.
We started with our couch...which I really really REALLY love.
But that was all we had in our living room.

We quickly figured out that we desperately needed a rug for Tiny. 
Someone in our ward was sweet enough to donate one to us.
It was plush and comfy.
Our tiny loved it.
It's heaven on her knees when she crawls around on it.
I liked that it fit our needs, but it took me a while to accept the color.
Matt thought I was crazy.

 

Then the gallery went up.
The gallery isn't close to perfect.
I had it all laid out on the floor pinterest style (I was really proud of myself),
but then our little goober attacked all the frames on the floor.
So I just started hanging them randomly.
They are crooked and not close to perfect,
but that's okay. 
It has a lot of personality...just like all the people in the pictures.


I still have some throw pillows that I'm working on.
One is black and white...I haven't figured out what the other one is going to be yet.
I'll update you all when I do 
(or you can give me suggestions...I'm thinking pink or purple).

I'm starting to really like this room.
It's where baby and I hang out, and while it probably will never look more than just a college student's living room, it does feel homey.

So there you go, that's our living room.
Hopefully I can finish up this tour within one more post.
After all, we only have 5 rooms in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment