Saturday, October 25, 2014

Halloween costumes

We had our church Halloween party today! We were more than ready for it. Unlike last year, I actually finished more than a few hours ahead of time. (Probably helped that this costume was simple enough to do in 5 minutes.) Madeleine got two costumes this year, because Matt deemed the first one, the paper bag princess, too cold to wear outside. So I made her a dragon cape to wear with it.


If by any chance someone wants to duplicate this, I have a few tips for you. First of all it's really just a bag with three holes cut out of it. I reinforced all the cuts with packing tape on the inside of the costume, which prevented it from ripping. Another thing that helped was the arm holes were between the bottom of the bag and the first crease. I found in my trial costume that if I did it a bit farther down it ripped a lot faster. Also a few people asked me how I got it all poofy like a princess dress. I just tied the center with a ribbon.




It was ridiculously easy. The cape was a lot harder though.


This was my inspiration for the cape.
  If I had to make it again, I would have magically had a serger. The ends frayed and curled on the green fabric and the gold was a bit slippery. I had to use a really large seam allowance to make it work. Thankfully, I didn't use the stretch silk otherwise it would have been a lot harder. Also, I would have measured Madeleine better. The cape is a little long on her. The front covers her hands a tiny bit and it bugs her.




But all in all, I'm very happy about the costumes! She was so cute to watch running around collecting chocolate. When everyone had run out of candy she started asking people to open it for her so she could eat it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love that book! That's a cute and simple idea--pinterest worthy for sure (especially your cute little model)! And I agree with you about having a serger. I send all my projects that require a serger to my mom--I'm sure one day the shipping costs add up to be the equivalent of a serger. It's one of those "I'll have it someday" dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been talking about getting a community serger. All the moms around here really want one. I've debated getting one, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I could maintain it. :/

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! And smart for you to choose an easier one as well as a challenging one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. The Paper Bag Princess is such a great book, and I loved making it come to life. (Especially since not many people know if it.)

      Delete