Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Warhol Birthday (and our living room)

Remember a month ago when I got bored of the living room and moved all the photos to the kitchen
and left the living room looking like this?


Well...it looks better now.
The pictures had to go down for very sweet and thoughtful birthday gifts Matt gave me.
It took us a month to get them framed and up.
So tada! Here's our living room now. :)


See those beautiful posters above the couch?
They were my gift.
I was lucky enough to marry a guy who gives me art and books as gifts.


For those who don't know, you are looking at three of the famed pop artist Andy Warhol's Chanel No. 5 prints that he made in the '80s and were eventually used by Chanel in a advertising campaign.


You might be wondering why he chose these. One of my final classes at BYU was an art history class that was actually taught by a notoriously difficult professor.
For whatever reason, I actually did really well in this class 
(despite being 38 weeks pregnant by the final).

In my last paper, I wrote about how this Warhol piece was responsible for reviving the Chanel perfume image after the feminist movements of the '70s.
Matt liked my arguments so much that he said that with a bit more length, it could have been a masters dissertation. 
(For those of you who don't know,
 the biggest fights that Matt and I have ever had began while we were editing each other's papers.
So the fact that Matt was complimenting me was a miracle.)

(PS. We are fighting about this blog post right now. haha)

At one point, I looked up some of these prints and wanted to buy them.
They were a bit over our budget, so Matt talked me out of it and I lost all hope of owning them.
To my surprise, a year later three mailing tubes showed up at our door.
I was confused.
I didn't order anything.
But I was thrilled to find out that they were my birthday present!
I couldn't believe he remembered...and what it made it even sweeter was the fact he had saved a copy of my paper to make sure he got exactly the right one.

But it didn't end there.
Keeping up with the Warhol theme he also got me the soup cans that Campbell released for the 50th anniversary of Warhol's debut.


:).

It was so sweet and I was really touched.


Then I got these two pillows.
I really love them. :)



So do you like it?
And what art would you want for your birthday?

3 comments:

  1. I would love to have Carl Bloch or Vermeer. Those are my two favorite artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I absolutely loved the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU. I got a pack of small prints of his paintings and keep them in my scriptures. His artwork is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Renoir. Renoir would be all over the place in here.

    ReplyDelete