Monday, January 28, 2013

Thai Curry Noodles


Look at those little eyes. So cute, so innocent, so alert...especially since they are supposed to be asleep. 

I thought since I was still up, I would share a quick recipe we tried for dinner tonight. 

This is the first recipe we have tried in a long time. I think the last one was fried chicken while I was 5ish months pregnant, since I was craving it, and we didn't feel like going to the store. My goal this week is to eat 3 meals a day. It will be quite the stretch. More often than not, Matt will come home starving, only to find me equally hungry...so we run to In-n-Out for burgers and fries. So the fact that I ate 3 meals today and tried a new recipe, I feel like an overachiever  (okay, I found it and had Matt cook it, but that still counts right?)

Matt and I love Thai food. Two times ago, when we went to my favorite little Thai restaurant Matt's dad ordered some Thai noodles. They were so yummy, and I decided I wanted to make some at home. This recipe isn't the more traditional recipe I'm guessing, but it was so good and only took 30 minutes to make. (And for bonus points, it used up all the broccoli in the fridge) 

Thai Curry Noodles

  • 2 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1 c of green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 of a white onion
  • 1 bunch of chopped cilantro
  • Dash or 1 tsp of ginger (we chop ours)
  • 2 Tbs. yellow Thai curry paste
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1 15-oz. can of coconut milk
  • 5 oz of rice noodles
  • ¾ cup chicken broth
  • 2 tsp. light brown sugar
  • 5 cups broccoli florets
  • 2 limes
(Note: The next time I made this, I added mushrooms, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and baby corn. More veggies. :) )

Cut up chicken and add to oil in medium pot over medium-high heat. 
Then sauté onion, green onion, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and baby corn in oil 2 minutes. Add cilantro, curry paste, curry powder, ginger, and turmeric, cook a minute or two. 
Next stir in coconut milk, broth, and brown sugar, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes. Simmer 10 minutes. (If you don't do this long enough, like I didn't, the water doesn't cook off enough and you'll need to add another tb of curry.)
Cook rice noodles in large pot of boiling water. Add broccoli to pot for last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain, and add to curry mixture sauce stuff. Mix well and serve with lime.
Food in tupperware on the floor = one classy food photo :)
PS Here is the other recipe for Thai Green Curry soup that I made for Riley's and Mollie's farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment