Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Icebreaker

Has anyone heard of toastmasters?

Yes, no, maybe so?

According to Wikipedia it is... 

a nonprofit educational organization that operates clubs worldwide for the purpose of helping members improve their communication, public speaking, and leadership skills.

Basically, it's a club to help public speaking skills. You have different workbooks you go through and when you finish different goals, they send your workplace a certificate saying what you have accomplished. (Apparently you can get raises and stuff for doing this, pretty cool right?) They also help you work on being interesting, using visual aids, proper use of notes, body language, etc. while you speak. It's actually really cool. They hold speech competitions on area, regional, national, and international levels, and on top of that, they are really nice and encouraging. 

So anyway, I joined a few weeks ago, and on Tuesday I gave my first speech. I was so nervous, even though all I had to do was give a 4-6 min speech on myself. The lady that evaluated my speech was very nice and helpful. I'm so glad that one is over. :)

My speech was on being a princess, and afterwards I got this ribbon!

It is an awesome book mark

No comments:

Post a Comment