Monday, November 17, 2014

Eastern Market

I think we have finally caught up on sleep so let me tell you all about our awesome weekend. This Saturday we took an unexpected trip to DC. I woke up for some reason at 3:30 in the morning and started browsing online looking for a farmer's market that sold pepperoncini. I didn't find one, but I did find an awesome farmer's market in Washingon D.C, which is where Matt's parents were currently visiting. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to drive 3 hours to DC, but I was pretty sure that Matt would be hard to wake up and convince.

Lucky for me, he woke up around 4 and didn't completely hate the idea! (He has become so much better about doing things like this since we got married three years ago.) So at 4:30, he kissed me goodbye so he could work for an hour while I got everything together for the trip.

We left around 6:30 and got to the farmer's market at 9:30. Matt was a bit relieved to find out that it was located in an expensive hipster neighborhood.  I immediately fell in love with the neighborhood. It was just so cozy and cute.


The market is called Eastern market and it is both indoor and outdoor market. The inside was beautiful.  I didn't take any of my own photos since Madeleine was a bit excited, but this is what it looks like. It's just a long row of food. It was a bit more crowd when we went, and it was hard getting through the crowds since it seemed like everyone stopped to greet everyone. I was a bit worried about keeping an eye on Madeleine, but people were so nice to her. I was even surprised to see other small toddlers running around looking at food too. That is something I'm not use to seeing.


 Madeleine loved the fish market. I don't know if she realized they were dead, but she knew they were "fishies." She also found more brussel sprouts, which lead to another meltdown.


Outside there were actual crafters (NJ craft shows don't actually sell crafts at the ones I've been to) and some more food. We actually bought a piece of art there.


Matt and I both were taken by this man's art, and Matt really wanted one. He picked one out for his Christmas present, although we already hung in our hall.


After that we headed over to Matt's grandparents' house where we hung out with family and went on another adventure that I'll write about next time. I think this post is long enough. :) 

Matt and I loved going to the farmer's market, and it's something I hope we can start doing more on vacations. The produce, prices, and of course, art was different than it is here in New Jersey, and we only traveled three hours. It would be wonderful to visit farmer's markets all over the US. 

So my friends, what random things do you do on a whim?

2 comments:

  1. I love farmer's markets that have both food and crafts. Madeleine looks so cute in her red coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've been so disappointed living where we are because there is no craft culture. I feel a pretty deprived. I was so excited to see real artist and their art.

      Delete